Simple Blackberry Jam
- 5 cups blackberries
- 1 cup sugar, honey or maple syrup (this is a low sugar recipe)
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- Add blackberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a saucepan. Be sure there are several inches of headspace to allow for foaming.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer the jam until it reaches the gel stage, stirring to keep the bubbles down. In this low sugar batch, it should take 20-30 minutes for a low sugar jam. (increasing the sugar will cause the jam to gel faster and result in a higher yield)
- Test for the gel stage on a plate in the freezer.
- Pour jam into prepared canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Store in the refrigerator, or process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes.
*This low sugar recipe yields roughly two half-pint jars.